Thursday 17 February 2011

A Good Read

As I've mentioned before on this blog - I LOVE books, they are essential to my life and have been since I first looked at a picture book as a child. I love opening a new book, finding a special old book, or re reading a book I read years ago with a whole new life perspective. If you are a book lover you'll know just what I mean!
My reading has been enhanced since xmas by the Kindle I received from my thoughtful Mr P as a surprise gift. Now I can take a weighty tome on the train with me, carry it round the city all day, read it while waiting for a meeting to start and be engrossed in it on the train home....and yet it's as light as a feather! And I can download in moments old titles I've been longing to read, often for free!!
 Last week I made my Kindle a little cover. I chose two Trefle fabrics from Superbuzzy here. Two prints that each have a little bit of text in the design - I do love a few words mixed with motifs both in stitched samplers and in printed fabric designs.
The button is a vintage one from an old button tin someone kindly gave me...I liked the pearly flower one too.
And here it is, tucked up snugly, ready to be transported on my next trip and ready to transport me to loads of other book-y worlds at the press of a button! Of course I'm still buying new books too - I so love the feel of actual books, their covers and whole look - but at certain times an e reader gives you a good read and I can always enjoy one of those!
Just a word about my own latest book, Simple Sewn Gifts. People both in blogland and in 'real life' have mentioned they can't find a copy to buy, so I made some enquiries at the publishers and discovered that as the book has been selling well they are currently having to reprint it.... the good news is that it will be available in late March again so not long to wait and you can still order it now. And to those who have already bought my book a big enormous thank you!!
Before I go I must say another thank you -  a bit belatedly, to the lovely Emma at Sylvie's Garden, who gave me the Stylish Blogger Award recently. I have been lucky enough to receive this award once before, but that doesn't mean it's any less appreciated! Thank you so much, Emma - and do pop over and see her lovely blog if you haven't already.

Have a lovely day everyone, and I hope it contains things you enjoy whether it's books, flowers, sunshine and fresh air, cupcakes or chocolate, I hope there is some of whatever makes you happy in your day! xxx

16 comments:

Crafts @ Home said...

Books are wonderful, I'm not sure I would want a kindle though, although that cover is very appealing. My friend is fortunate enough to own your new book, so I have seen it, it's beautiful.
Sue:)

sylviesgarden said...

You're welcome!
I love the Kindle cover, I'm torn on whether I want one or not (a Kindle). I love the feel of a proper book and the smell of ink that you get with new books. I can see the advantage of having a Kindle but I'm still not sure.
x

Hazel said...

I love your Kindle cover. Like Emma, I too am torn over whether I want one or not. I have heard a lot of rave reviews though so maybe it is somehting worth looking into. x

Jane said...

I also love books Helen, we have a house ful,l but I think the beauty of the Kindle (or iPad which I long for-LOL!) is that your book can be taken everywhere without being spoilt. I think there is room in our modern world for both. Your cover is beautiful...very "ME" fabric! Have a great weekend,
Jane x

Nic said...

I'm new to your blog - hello! :) I love books too, have so many in our house. Your cover is lovely :)

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Hi Helen, I love a good book too. I am always reading something. I also have a new Kindle. I do love it but use it mostly for traveling and such. It is great to have the option to decide which book you want to buy at the book store and which one you want to download. I feel spoiled!! But I love gadgets. Love the cover and fabric.....I have this green leather cover and a pink spongy material cover. Hope you are having a good day. xoRobin❤

teje said...

Hi Helen! Lovely special post for us book lovers! That new 'reader' is great and especially with the most lovely cover you have made! Still as we know, it's great moment to catch a new book - open it carefully for the first time...and start to read! For the first time in my life I don't read every day...I'm sewing more and spending more time with the computer.
Have a lovely time! xxx Teje

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I love the feel of a book too but I can see the advantage of a Kindle when you're travelling. I love the cover you have made for yours, the button is so beautiful. :)
Thankfully today I did enjoy some sunshine, flowers and fresh air, oh and some chocolate!
I love your last photo, so pretty (actually I love all your photos)!
Vivienne x

home made gorgeous said...

Hi Helen, I completely share your feelings about books.. there is nothing like being absorbed in a story that you love. I absolutely love your kindle cover, and the fabric is just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the link too. I flicked though your fabulous book the other day in Smiths and it's next on my Amazon list of things to buy! Sarah x

faith76 said...

I would really like your book will have to order a copy. I'm new to sewing - well never made anything in my life sewing wise so need the inspiration.

I've been pondering about buying a kindle - good to have your point of view.

Leah x

Naturally Carol said...

I love to read too..not fussy..books, magazines, computer screens, signposts, posters, price tags..whatever! You've made a beautiful cover for your kindle...and I will have to look around for your book as I can see it contains those great hearts...one of which I did not win:(

two bones and a bagle said...

Hello thanks for popping over to my blog - can't believe I haven't found yours before its stunning. I will now be a regular. Dylan is very impressed by his popularity and I am pleased that he has 9 comments although a little envious as this is my best ever result comments wise - i forgive him though because I love him. DebsX I love books and have lots but would like a kindle and I will be putting your book on my wish list. TTFN.

harmony and rosie said...

I love books too, they really make a home but unfortunately my husband likes books too (but his aren't pretty like mine!!). Great news that yours is being reprinted, congratulations, I must check it out.

Kate x

Simone said...

Your kindle cover is great! I do love a paper book though and read a book or magazine every day. Well done on your book being reprinted - you must feel very proud!x

Joanne said...

Helen, I would just like to say that I think your blog is beautiful, such eye candy. I adore your bunnies and their sweet little outfits.
I'm also a lover of books and I can see why you would want a kindle they are so handy but you can't beat the feel and smell of the real thing.

clare said...

Your Kindle case is gorgeous..love the fabric!

I flicked though your lovely book today in WHSmiths...its also on my wish list at Amazon...but i dropped loads of hints to hubby today...for Mothers Day..so fingers crossed!
Hugs Clare@weekend Crafter xx