Monday 16 October 2017

Lone Star: a quilt in progress

 Here is another of my works in progress having some more work done on it this autumn.....this is the red and white lone star quilt i began some time ago.....
 ...............i love red and white quilts so much and have always wanted to make a lone star one.....
 .............this is what i hope it will look like when finished..........i was super inspired by the book below.......lone star quilt patterns are one of the most recognisable designs and they have several different  names.....an early name used here in england was the mathematical quilt and they are also known as the star of bethlehem.........
 ............to make it as accurate as possible i am sewing this quilt by english paper piecing it which works best for me........apparently these quilt tops are often found in antique shops unfinished because they 'went wrong' and became puckered and wouldn't lie flat when spread out :(......
 .............i love looking at the graphic effect as the pattern emerges.......
 ..............at the moment the quilt in progress is on the sofa arm, and every night i add a few more diamonds......last night i sewed some while watching *victoria*......
 ..............here are some new pumpkins for my autumn decorating..........
 ..............in keeping with the red and white theme here today............
 ...............and below is my project in the latest issue of crafts beautiful magazine...full of christmas makes and inspiration the november issue is out now...........you can read more here.....
 ...............in my studio i have added some autumn decorations to my little cupboard.........
 ............the weather has been beautiful here, sunny and warm with gorgeous autumn colours everywhere and blue skies....but today it has become very blustery and there is a storm brewing....
 ..............time to get tucked up with my sewing, light the fire and the candles and keep cosy.....
.................thank you so much for visiting me here in my bit of blog land dear readers and a big thank you to those of you who take the time to comment...i do love to hear from you......wishing you a happy week ahead filled with peaceful times and plenty of crafty inspirations....and take care in the stormy weather everyone......back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

22 comments:

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH that will be beautiful! I am loving red and white quilt motifs and plan to use them in my Christmas decorating this year...so pretty!

Jacky H said...

What a beautiful quilt it's so fresh.
Your collection of pumpkins is growing I be made four at the moment.
Have a lovely week.

Simone said...

The quilt is most striking Helen! I love all the red and white in the post too! x

KC'sCourt! said...

Wow! The quilt is going to be absolutely stunning

Julie xxxx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

What a wonderful quilt Helen, you're a quilting genius.....that book looks inspirational!
I just love all those cute little multiplying pumpkins, especially in their cupboard.
My goodness it has been very wild here today, I think it has settled down a bit now though.....fingers crossed!
V x

GailD said...

Looks gorgeous. Fabulous pictures too, thank you again for your inspiration x

crazydazy said...

The red and white star quilt is just stunning. I tried to make one year's ago but it ended up pluckered as you say. It will be beautiful when it is finished

Mickie said...

Helen,
Another masterpiece in the making!! I love the fresh, crispness of red and white quilts. You are such an inspiration in all of the things you make, but I am not talented enough to attempt a challenge like this one. Love it!:-)
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie Indiana, USA

Anonymous said...

Simply stunning. Natalie

Kate said...

I love the Lone Star but have been too chicken to attempt one - yours is beautiful in the red and white. Your whole colour scheme today is beautiful!! Makes me feel Chistmassy!!

Teresa Kasner said...

I adore your lone star quilt.. I love red and white too. I have a vintage star quilt I wish you could see. It was made with old fabric and is in reds, blues and white.. all hand pieced and all hand quilted. Enjoy your Autumnal crafting endeavors by the fire! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Gracie Saylor said...

I love imagining you warm and cozy and safe as you stitch away on your beautiful red and white quilt,
Helen. xx

Blondie's Journal said...

Just beautiful, Helen. I can see what a challenge this pattern must be, and I applaud you. I once had a red and white quilt, actually I had quite a few I 'rescued' from various antique shops. Sadly, I wanted to use them, and after gentle washings and my kids cuddling under them...well they didn't survive. I can't sew for the life of me, so that wasn't a remedy. :(

I love your pumpkins...cheery and so unique!

Cold weather coming here in the Midwest, US. I hope to do some cross stitch if I can ever meet my writing deadlines!!

Hugs,

Jane x

handmade by amalia said...

Red and white is such a classic, warm combination. Beautiful work, Helen.
Amalia
xo

Annelein said...

I just love red and whites. Your quilt to be is great... I just want to start this quilt for myself... if I only could buy some time....*Ü*...

Little Quiltsong said...

What an amazing project you started. Looks so stunning with the red and white. Love your little autumn pumpkin cupboard. Such beautiful, cute pumpkins. Stay safe!

Jane said...

Wow what a vibrant quilt that will be Helen, it looks fab. I do love red and white it always works so well. I hope you didn't have too much of the storm?
The sky turned eerie down here but no real wind at all. Take care and enjoy the rest of the week xx

Art and Sand said...

You had me at red & white.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

Oh my, a red and white quilt and white and red polka dot pumpkins! Oh my! Just darling. What alot of work that quilt must be, but it will be just stunning when done.. it's stunning now! Learning paper piecing is on my "to do" list. I have a book to learn. My aunt used to love doing paper piecing and I did try it once, but seems complicated to me. But I want to try. Your "pumpkin" cupboard is so sweet I just want to print out the picture and look at it all day long! Love it..... Hugs.. Marilyn

angelasweby said...

What amazing work. The quilt is so eyecatching. What a huge amount of fine precision work. I adore those sweet pumpkins and a touch of Christmas promise. What more could we want.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, that Lone Star is gorgeous! I can't wait to see your finish it. I'd love to have enough red and white quilts (or maybe some red and white and some Christmas) to put on each bed for the Christmas holidays. How fun would that be? Beautiful as always!

Sam I Am...... said...

Stunning quilt! What a lot of work went into it. Your little pumpkins in all the different fabrics are simply adorable and what cute little stockings... "hung by the chimney with care". Happy crafting!