Monday 8 January 2018

Winter Quilt

 It is so cold and frosty here at the moment we are certainly glad of our winter quilts.......
 ............today i am showing some pictures of the winter quilt i made recently using beautiful nordic stitches fabrics by wenche wolff hatling of northern quilts for moda..........below is the charm pack i bought......i alternated the prints with white kona cotton.....
 ................and bought some of my favourite prints as yardage for the border and backing.....i added applique deer, some stars and a pine tree too............
 ............i love the swirly quilting which makes me think of snow whirling.....the design was longarm quilted for me by debbie holland here....................
 .............this is a cosy quilt to use all winter........the deer remind me of the ones we have often seen on our walks in various country places....the way they can leap so high and elegantly still surprises me.....so a few were sewn in place on here...........including leaping ones......
 ...............such pretty fabrics and in my current favourite colour way too............
 ..........i made card templates for the deer applique so i might use them again on another project....maybe a cushion....
 ...............the red fabric for the applique is kona solid in tomato..........
 ............a crumpled quilt shot below....always like these as i love how the fabrics look randomly next to one another..........
 ....................below is the backing fabric i chose from the nordic stitches collection....with deer leaping all over it....love this design....
 ..............this was a pleasure to sew and i am loving using it too especially right now in the middle of the cold snap....
.............we have cheerful tulips here today....such bright and happy flowers in my sewing room catching the frosty winter sunlight.........lots more designs to show you soon..........thank you lovely readers for dropping in to my little bit of blog land today......and thank you so much for the sweet comments you leave me..............happy new week, enjoy the january days and keep cosy (or if you live on the other side of the world keep cool!)..............back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

18 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Such classic colors and lovely patterned fabric. A very mild winter here which is fine by me as I don't much like the cold. Happy New Year!

Kate said...

I love your quilt, Helen. The fabrics are so lovely and the backing fabric is just perfect. Hope it warms up soon for you.

Elizabethd said...

So pretty. I have searched the Northern web site and dont see your lovely fabric there, I would like to buy some. Can you advise me?

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Oh this is charming, Helen! I absolutely love the fabric choices...and the reindeer!
It just makes me smile!

Christine B said...

Happy New Year Helen! This is such a beautiful quilt.... the fabrics are gorgeous and I love the appliques and quilting too! Just fabulous! Christine x

Jacky H said...

What a lovely quilt just what you need for this time of year. I love the reindeer they just finish it off.

Jane said...

Such a pretty quilt Helen, the leaping deer are so delightful.It has turned so chilly...keep snug xx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Such a beautiful quilt Helen, I really do love those little deer....the fabric is so pretty and you have the gift of knowing how to make it all look so lovely!
So wonderful to see the tulips appearing. :)
Happy new week,
V x

Mickie said...

Helen,
What a perfect wintery quilt for those frosty nights to cuddle up with. The pretty tulips make me think of spring and I am so ready for it.
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie Indiana USA

Teresa Kasner said...

Oh how I love the white bright of your posts and the way the colors pop against your light backgrounds. LOVE your Nordic inspired quilt!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

ellie w. said...

As usual, you inspired me! When I saw your beautiful quilt a few weeks back, I just had to have the fabric. It is so beautiful. I can't wait to cut into it! Thanks for sharing, once again!

KC'sCourt! said...

Oh wow! I love this quilt

Julie xxxxxxxx

Pat's Patch said...

Happy New Year Helen, and thank you for sharing more of your beautiful winter quilt. The borders and appliqued little deers really set it off, and the swirly pattern is great. Lovely to see some bright tulips to remind us that Spring is not too far away. Loads of love Pat XXX

Unknown said...

Everything you make is so adorable. Just looking at your pictures makes me feel cozy. I love the clean, crisp look of all your work. Happy New Year from 😎 Southern California !!

Simone said...

Such a pretty quilt and I love the backing fabric too! x

Art and Sand said...

Your beautiful creations always make me smile.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

It's beautiful Helen! Love it.. love the reds and white and the leaping deer.. the backing is wonderful too.... all so Nordic and Swedish looking which I love. My ancestors are Dutch so anything Nordic hits me deeply. I love how you display everything too, and the darling cup matches so well! Do you do your applique with turned under edges, or do you add some sort of stabilizer and machine stich them on with raw edges? I don't do applique as don't know quite how to do it! xoxoxo Marilyn

Catherine Young said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.